Thursday, February 11, 2010

Struggling Upward by Horatio Alger, Jr.


Disinclined to give us an allowance, my dad chose instead to offer his children an incentive to read: a penny per page. I remember a short phase in which finances primarily dictated my interest in reading, but I also remember the point at which inspiration took over as the motivation. It coincided with my discovery of the authors Horatio Alger Jr. and Oliver Optic. The first book I discovered, written by the former, was “Struggling Upward.” It told the story of Luke Larkin, a boy of 16 with modest means but great character. Wrongfully fired from his job and arrested under false accusations, he is redeemed by the appearance of a mysterious stranger and his own hard work and dependability. Luke Larkin inspired me, as he did thousands of young men in the mid-nineteenth century, to work hard and let honesty characterize my actions. In an age dominated by Harry Potter, I believe your young men will be inspired by the real heroes portrayed in the Alger and Optic books.
--Lukas
Note: The Oliver Optic and Horatio Alger books were re-printed and published by Mantle Ministries. Target Audience are young men, ages 10-16. We have currently one copy of Struggling Upward (paperback) from Dover in stock. Otherwise, that book is out of print (I wonder who will read this blog and get the last copy for $6.95) We still have some hardcover books by Oliver Optic in stock. We also have a paper back edition of "Hope and Have" published by Applewood Books. Hope and Have introduces us to a young orphan who undergoes a miraculous transformation. Ther first part of the story tells how Fanny, through trials, triumphs, and her faith in God, has a change of heart. The second part of the story follows Fanny's adventures during the terrible Indian massacre of 1862. The gripping story of how Fanny and a young man named Ethan French escape makes this a captivating book.

No comments: