Friday, November 20, 2009

Astronomy by Jeannie Fulbright




In science I am introducing Oliver (10) and Jenny (7) to astronomy. We are using Jeannie Fulbright’s book “Astronomy” published by Apologia Ministries. The book covers our solar system with the sun, the planets, moons, comets, asteroids, meteoroids and the like. The last two chapters are covering stars and galaxies and space travel, which we haven’t covered yet. Physical realities like light, matter, space, time and the like are well explained for the younger children. Simple experiments and writing assignments are easy to follow and can be done by any parent. We enjoyed the simple experiments about rotation and revolutions, the making of craters, and the “Earth For Sale” writing assignment. They were fun. The book is well illustrated with full color pictures, graphs and diagrams.

I have to make a confession here: I love children’s books and the simple way they explain things. I enjoy these books and learn a lot myself. To be honest, I can really get excited about the things I study with my children. I have picked up another little book by Werner Gitt called “Stars and Their Purpose” and find it fascinating. Since we are approaching Christmas, let me mention that Werner Gitt covers the “Star of Bethlehem” and what it may have been. He discusses several interpretations and let’s you know what he thinks is the most plausible one. Otherwise, the book is very readable and shot full of fascinating facts about heavenly bodies and physical parameters. I have never paid much attention to appendixes but in this book it is definitely a part you don’t want to skip. A strong gospel message is included for free.
--Hanno

"Exploring Creation with Astronomy" Retail $35.00 our in-store price $29.65
“Stars and Their Purpose” only $4.99

No comments: